An independent childbirth education center offering Lamaze childbirth classes, Breastfeeding classes and support, Infant Care classes, and Infant Safety classes
A Doula is...
We are now working as a doula team, and you can hire us for May births and beyond!
The word "doula" comes from the ancient Greek meaning "a woman who serves"and is now used to refer to a trained and experienced professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother before, during and just after birth; or who provides emotional and practical support during the postpartum period.
Studies have shown that when doulas attend birth, labors are shorter with fewer complications, babies are healthier and they breastfeed more easily.
A Birth Doula
- Recognizes birth as a key experience the mother will remember all her life
- Understands the physiology of birth and the emotional needs of a woman in labor
- Assists the woman in preparing for and carrying out her plans for birth
- Stays with the woman throughout the labor
- Provides emotional support, physical comfort measures and an objective viewpoint, as well as helping the woman get the information she needs to make informed decision
- Facilitates communication between the laboring woman, her partner and her clinical care providers
- Perceives her role as nurturing and protecting the woman's memory of the birth experience
- Works with the woman's partner to participate at his/her comfort level
One doula is good, so hiring two is GREAT! We share a call schedule, so we are hired as a team. We have worked together closely as doulas and childbirth educators for the last 2 years, and you'll know you will be in qualified, dependable hands when you choose us!
BIRTH DOULA SERVICES
- Free consultation with Brittany and Veronica to answer questions and discuss doula services in more detail.
- 2 prenatal meetings, one with Brittany and one with Veronica to go over your pregnancy so far, previous pregnancies and birth experiences, ways we will work together to strive for a satisfying and enjoyable birth, how your partner and we will work together, what relaxes/calms you, practice role playing and techniques to aid labor, any fears or concerns you may have about your birth, or referrals that you may need. We will also recommend resources that will guide you to feel better informed and more comfortable with your birth.
- We are available by telephone 24 hours a day to answer your questions and to stay in touch about your progress.
- Once labor begins, Veronica or Brittany will meet you either at your home or the hospital and will stay with you through your entire labor and birth.
- Once your baby is born, one of us will remain with you 2 or more hours, or until you are comfortably settled in with your new baby. If you have a hospital birth, we can visit you once more in the hospital if you'd like. Veronica can visit if any breastfeeding problems arise.
- If desired by family, postpartum meeting 2-3 weeks after the delivery to discuss the birth and take care of any unfinished business.
- We can provide referrals to other professionals who work with pregnant women, including massage therapists and chiropractors, if so desired and with the approval of your care provider.
Birth doula care (which includes services described above)-- $650-$750
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for availability and to schedule a free doula consultation.